All of the Ashbourne community have the right to safe internet access at all times. The policy works in conjunction with Ashbourne College’s e-Safety policy.
The Acceptable Use Policy is to ensure that:
- Staff are responsible users of the internet, social media, email and other communication technologies for educational, personal and recreational use.
- Our digital systems (email, Facebook, website …) are protected from deliberate misuse. We have a particular regard to security against hacking of all descriptions; eg phishing, malware, viruses, compromise of passwords and logins, corruption of data, data encryption etc.
- The protection of staff, students, administration and all others affected by the digital environment at the college.
Ashbourne is committed to enhancing all aspects of education at the college, including the use of and support from digital media.
Acceptable use policy agreement
I understand that I must use ICT in a responsible way, protecting my safety, the safety and security of the ICT systems and the safety and security of other users, especially students.
Professional and personal safety
1. I understand that the college will monitor my use of ICT systems, emails and other forms of digital communication.
2. I understand that the rules set out in this document apply to ICT systems both inside and outside the college.
3. I understand that the college ICT systems are provided principally for educational purposes and will only use the systems for personal or recreational use within the boundaries set out in this document.
4. I will not disclose my username or password to anyone else nor will I try to use any other’s username or password.
5. I will immediately report any illegal, inappropriate or harmful material or incident to the Lead Compliance Officer.
Professional communications and actions when using the college’s ICT systems
1. I will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user’s files, without consent.
2. Avoiding the use of aggressive or inappropriate language, I will communicate with others in a professional and courteous manner. I will be tolerant and respectful of the views of others.
3. If I take or publish images of others, it will only be with their explicit written consent.
4. I will only use chat and social networking sites in college in accord with the college’s policy.
5. I will not engage in any on-line activity that will compromise my profession or bring the college into disrepute.
6. I will only communicate with members of the Ashbourne community using authorised school systems.
7. If any of the data is breached, I will report immediately to the Lead Compliance Officer.
Safe and secure access and storage
The college has a responsibility to offer safe and secure access to digital technology. I agree to report any deficiencies in the ICT system to the Lead Compliance Officer.
I will pay particular attention to:
b) downloading insecure attachments to emails
c) concealing usernames and passwords (login details)
d) uploading software without permission (the danger of malware and viruses).
Protection against breaches of security and corruption of data
Because of the danger of malware and viruses, I will not open any attachments unless the source is known and trusted.
I understand the importance of continuously backing up my documents.
I will not upload, download or access any material which is illegal (child sexual abuse images, racist material, adult pornography…) or inappropriate or might cause harm or distress to others.
I will not use any software designed to work around the college’s firewall or anti-virus programs.
I will not try to make large uploads or downloads which might compromise the facility with which others access the digital systems.
I will not install any programs or alter the settings on any computer without express consent.
I will not damage or disable any of the college’s ICT equipment or equipment belonging to others.
I will not transport, hold, disclose or share personal information as set out in the college’s data protection policy. Externally exported personal data should be encrypted.
I understand the necessity of keeping private any personal data of any member of the Ashbourne community, except when required by law to disclose such to the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) or another appropriate authority.
I understand that safeguarding trumps data protection.
Safeguarding and cyber bullying
I will be alert to instances of cyber bullying and report any to the DSL. Please read our Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy.
I will not use the original work of others in my work and obey the current copyright legislation.
I understand that the college’s acceptable use policy applies to the use of the college’s ICT systems or hardware inside or outside college. Failure to comply with the acceptable use policy may result in disciplinary action.
I have read and understood the above and agree to use the college’s ICT system, my own devices in college and when making communications related to college business, within the guidelines of this document.
|Authorised by||The Principal|
|Effective date of the policy||October 2018|
|Circulation||Teaching staff / all staff / parents / Students on request|
|Review date||October 2019|