Child Student Guidance – English Student Visa

Under 16 accommodation

If the student is under 16 and applying for a student visa, they must ensure their accommodation complies with UKBA guidelines. If the student is not living with a parent or a close relative (grandparent, brother, sister, step-parent, uncle (brother or half-brother of their parent) or aunt (sister or half-sister of their parent) who is aged 18 or over), then the student must ensure the following conditions are met:

  1. The student must be staying in the UK with a British citizen or an approved UK resident
  2. The resident must be an approved foster carer registered with the local authority where they live

The student must then provide the following documentation:

  1. A copy of the resident’s passport or copy of indefinite leave to remain status
  2. A letter of permission from a parent/legal guardian
  3. A letter of undertaking from the intended carer
  4. A copy of a letter of notification to the local authority that the student will be under the care of a private foster carer
  5. An original document from the local authority confirming notification and approval of the arrangement

These guidelines are very rigid so the student should ensure they understand the regulations fully and have all the necessary documents prepared before applying for their visa.

16 to 17 accommodation

16 or 17 year olds have more freedom with regards to accommodation, and can state that they are living independently without providing details of guardians.

Bank account details

Students should hold the required funds in their account for a minimum of 28 days before applying. The student will need to prove this by providing bank account statements or a letter from their bank.

If students are using their parents’ bank account

If the student is using their parents’ bank account to hold their maintenance fees or tuition fees, they must provide evidence of their relationship, for instance a birth certificate. The student must also provide a letter written by their parents to prove that they have given the student permission to use these funds and they are happy for the student to do so.

Other letters to be provided from parents

If the student is applying as a child student, they will need to provide a letter from their parents to state they are aware the student is going to be studying in the UK, they are happy for the student to go ahead and they know all the details of their accommodation, flights and travel (if the student is travelling alone), and their course. This must be signed by both of their parents.