As one of the UK’s leading sixth form colleges, Ashbourne has a substantial scholarship fund for A level Drama, and welcomes applications from students with both the academic qualifications and personal qualities to make a meaningful contribution to college life.
Scholarships are awarded principally for academic or dramatic achievement, and all candidates should expect to sit a written test or participate in an audition. A history of participation in activities
inside and outside of school is also expected.
Drama Studies at Ashbourne
Drama has grown into one of Ashbourne College’s most successful and vibrant departments.
Over the past three years, 53% of our results in English Literature and Drama have been at A*/A and 84% at A*/A//B.
Ashbourne offers the AQA A Level, which covers both theoretical and practical aspects of Drama, and provides a good balance between performance and academic work.
We have a thriving Drama Club, and produce an annual Revue incorporating Dance, Drama, Music and Fashion.
Applicants for a Drama Scholarship at Ashbourne must have:-
- Strong academic pedigree
- Strong oral and written English;
- Excellent audition
Applicants for a Drama Scholarship at Ashbourne should also demonstrate:-
- An independent and pro-active approach to their career and education;
- The ability to think critically;
- A history of participation in school activities;
- Having held a position of responsibility at their previous school or college;
- A history of hobbies, interests and achievements outside of school;
- Ambition in their education and personal life.
Ready to take the Next Step?
To apply or find out more information please get in touch.
Over recent years Ashbourne has developed a very strong programme in Drama and Theatre Studies to A Level. Our Drama students have a wide range of backgrounds and experiences ranging from leading London theatre schools to impressive amateurs with no formal experience.
Ashbourne takes Drama and Theatre Studies very seriously and so holds auditions for places. The purpose of the audition is two-fold:
- To ensure the quality of the students on the programme
- To offer scholarships to candidates with exceptional academic ability and acting talent.
Last year for instance we offered three 100% scholarships and other partial scholarships.
The audition takes the form of a 3-minute monologue selected and performed by the applicant, a brief interview to discuss the piece and some improvisation work conducted under the supervision of our acting teacher.