Ashbourne’s Medical School Programme (AMSP) has been running for more than 35 years and is designed to give students the best possible chance of gaining a place at a UK university medical school.
The Programme is run by Amy Youngman, Head of Faculty for Natural Sciences, Deputy Head of Sixth Form and A level Biology teacher, who has been helping students apply for medical school for many years and is also a UCL Medical School interviewer. She runs weekly AMSP workshops, helps prepare students to sit successful BMAT and UKCAT tests, provides individual support and guidance to students throughout the entire application process and conducts mock interviews.
Medical School entry is not only about excellent academic achievement. Students need to be fully equipped to start a career in medicine, be well informed about current medical issues, feel confident in interview, have some work experience and show a genuine and strong ambition to become a doctor. Medicine can be emotionally and physically demanding so learning how to interact with patients and manage extremely stressful and distressing situations is essential to becoming a successful doctor.
Click on our Medicine Booklet to find out more.
What our students get from the ASMP:
- A thorough understanding of what a medical career will involve, including dentistry
- A forum to discuss and debate current medical issues and ethics with other prospective medical school students
- Opportunities to talk with practising doctors and Ashbourne alumni who are now at medical school
- BMAT and UKCAT preparation
- Interview preparation: both traditional and MMIs
- UCAS support and guidance on all aspects of the application process from finding the right course and meeting all the requirements to writing a relevant and compelling personal statement and accepting an offer
- Assistance in securing voluntary work experience placements
- Encouragement to engage in extracurricular activities
Ashbourne’s A level courses, taken in conjunction with the Programme, offer outstanding opportunities for ambitious and hardworking students who will benefit from the individual support and choice we offer to help our students reach the highest grades.
How to apply
For further information or to apply for a place on Ashbourne’s Medical School Programme please contact the college on 020 7937 3858 or email our Admissions team.
Ashbourne Medical School Programme Prospectus
Read more about the Programme in our prospectus which includes details about course requirements, preparing for interview and advice from experts.